Find us on Twitter and Facebook!
Phone Number 208 466 0916
Northwest Christian Credit Union is here today because of the vision of a few Nazarene doctors at Samaritan Hospital. These doctors had the vision to see beyond the medical needs of their patients, and see the need for financial assistance as well. With this vision and with the direction of a local credit union manager, James Radford, these doctors began to organize themselves into a credit union. The Managing Director of the Idaho Credit Union League, Wade Gustin, helped things along and in April of 1954 the Nampa Fellowship Federal Credit Union was established. Those who helped to organize and also became the first members were Dr. Gerald Wesche, Dr. Henry Wesche, Kenneth Gray (hospital administrator & credit union manager/treasurer), and Wendell Moore (first board president).
The original Field of Membership was open to members of the six Nazarene churches in Nampa. The credit union took a stand for improving the community and the families of the community. Any loan had to have as its purpose, “To improve the living standard of the family.” This was somehow accomplished even though the maximum loan amount was $50.00.
The credit union was run from an office in the basement of Samaritan Hospital until 1957, when it was moved down the street to the manager’s home on its front porch. The credit union stayed on his front porch until 1971, when with $900,000.00 in assets it was time for a building project. The Board purchased 2 lots at 507 Holly St. in Nampa for the site of the new building. Late 1971, the credit union moved into its new facility. Growth was realized rather quickly as assets nearly doubled in one year. In 1975, the credit union changed its name to Nazarene of Nampa Federal Credit Union and expanded its field of membership to include the Intermountain District Church of the Nazarene and NNC students and alumni.
Throughout the 80s and 90s, the credit union added share draft checking accounts, Money Market Accounts, IRAs and established a credit union web site. In 1999, the credit union converted from its federal charter to a state charter and from federal insurance to private insurance. In the process the credit union expanded its field of membership to include Nazarenes throughout the nation. It also changed its name to Nazarene Financial Credit Union.
The credit union remained at 507 Holly St. until 2001, when, with $19 million in assets, it constructed a 5300 square foot facility located at 716 E Colorado. The credit union moved into its new facility in November of 2001.
In 2004, the credit union expanded its membership to allow an even greater number of Christians to participate in the credit union. Other schools, churches and ministry organizations common in matters of faith became eligible for membership. In September of 2004, the credit union, in order to reflect its wider membership, changed its name to Northwest Christian Credit Union.
In 2006, the credit union established its first branch location in Boise. The credit union continued to expand its church lending activities in the Treasure Valley and throughout the region. Through shared branching the credit union now offers over 4000 branch service centers for members nation wide.
716 E. Colorado Ave.,
Nampa, ID 83686-5991